The Erotica Readers and Writers Association

Kaigou

Rainbow Reviews - Personal Demons

Rainbow Reviews - Love Runes

Rainbow Reviews - Chaos Magic

Rainbow Reviews - Toy Box Flogger

Rainbow Reviews - Toy Box Kitchen Sink

TwoLips Reviews

 



 

Toy Boxes: Floggers

Inside Him

 

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Sweet Son of Pan

I stopped reading poetry a while ago because I wasn’t aware of work that was relevant to me. Now I’m rediscovering it and finding whole worlds that were always there if I’d only known where to look. Collections such as Trebor Healey’s Sweet Son of Pan are what drew me back.

I was lucky to catch Trebor’s reading for Sweet Son of Pan. He read Denny, which sounded familiar, and then I made the connection to the Pansy Division song (dug out my CD and yep, Trebor is credited on the lyrics). Shooting Star touched a raw nerve of truth about the military boys I knew when I was younger, while Soldiers reminds me of the physical but not emotional distance I have from them now. We Started Out Janitors perfectly captures the cure for soul crushing shitty jobs. San Gabriel Valley shows the futility of trying to connect to some tricks on an intellectual level. And his Crab Pantoum - I’d never heard of a pantoum, a distinct form of poetry that uses repetition in slightly different context to give new shades of insight to a statement. Being about crabs, it’s also pretty damn funny.

Inspired by his reading, I bought the collection and found other treasures. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., South Central L.A. makes me nod in agreement with his vision. My Type captures why we give our bodies and minds to lovers who aren’t worth the trouble, and why we’ll keep doing it even when we know better. These Are The Places Where I Am Broken, Evildoers, Ode To Buddha; those are the pages I’ve bent at the corners so that I can return to them. Now I’m carrying his words around in my brain, and some in my heart. This collection is why I’ll give poetry another chance – because it resonates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Helen Madden

M. Christian

Amanda Earl

Trebor Healey

Greg Herren

Keziah Hill

DL King

Nobody Passes

Jolie du Pre

Remittance Girl

Lisabet Sarai

D. Travers Scott

Sage Vivant

 

Torquere Press

Erotica Revealed

Erotica Readers and Writers Association

Erotic Authors Association

EPIC

Clean Sheets

Lambda Literary

BiWriters

QueerWriters

DoorQ

Kathleen Bradean

Saints and Sinners