The Erotica Readers and Writers Association

Kaigou

Rainbow Reviews - Personal Demons

Rainbow Reviews - Love Runes

Rainbow Reviews - Chaos Magic

Rainbow Reviews - Toy Box Flogger

Rainbow Reviews - Toy Box Kitchen Sink

TwoLips Reviews

 



 

Toy Boxes: Floggers

Inside Him

 

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

pacing

I can't think of anything more nerve-wracking than putting a novel in that hands of beta readers. It isn't fear (sorry Marcus). It's hope and dread at the same time. Did the story flow well, build up to a good climax, and end right? How many things did I gloss over because I understood what was happening, or what the character meant, but failed to convey to the reader? Did I back away when something got uncomfortable? (readers are allowed to flinch and look away, writers aren't)

I want to know all these answers, but waiting to hear the verdict isn't easy. So I pace (that much I have in common with Sam) . And once I have the answers, I hope that they're easy fixes and not huge problems.

Even though Love Runes is, like Chaos Magic, an erotic novel, I actually cut one sex scene because I felt it was gratuitous. It didn't move the plot forward and didn't reveal more about the characters. Tellingly, after I cut it, the rest of the story wasn't affected. I do worry about a section of the story where there's no sex at all, but since Sam and Hector are fighting in those chapters, it wouldn't have worked to toss them into bed, or across the kitchen table, or into the dungeon. Hopefully readers will be so caught up in the story that they won't even notice the lack of sex. We shall see, just as soon as my beta readers get back to me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

It sounds to me like you did the right thing, for whatever a random person's opinion is worth. :)

I firmly prefer sex which pulls its weight, though -- supports the plot, shows character, develops relationships, something -- and if it's pretty obvious that the only reason a sex scene exists is because the writer thought they needed teh sexx0rz every other chapter or whatever, I start skimming and only go back to reading when the actual story picks up again. If you need to stick a sex scene in with duct tape, it's a waste of tape. [wry smile]

Angie

3:40 PM

 
Blogger Jay Lygon said...

Your opinion does mean something.

The only reason why I wrote it was that I'd shown something in the room in an earlier scene and stuck to the old saw "if you show a gun in act 1, use in by act 3." The simple fix was to delete the scene and then the mention of it from the ealier scene. Problem solved.

People may scoff at the idea of gratuitous sex in erotica, but you're a writer, so you know what I mean.

7:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Helen Madden

M. Christian

Amanda Earl

Trebor Healey

Greg Herren

Keziah Hill

DL King

Nobody Passes

Jolie du Pre

Remittance Girl

Lisabet Sarai

D. Travers Scott

Sage Vivant

 

Torquere Press

Erotica Revealed

Erotica Readers and Writers Association

Erotic Authors Association

EPIC

Clean Sheets

Lambda Literary

BiWriters

QueerWriters

DoorQ

Kathleen Bradean

Saints and Sinners