The Erotica Readers and Writers Association

Kaigou

Rainbow Reviews - Personal Demons

Rainbow Reviews - Love Runes

Rainbow Reviews - Chaos Magic

Rainbow Reviews - Toy Box Flogger

Rainbow Reviews - Toy Box Kitchen Sink

TwoLips Reviews

 



 

Toy Boxes: Floggers

Inside Him

 

Saturday, March 29, 2008

What I Should Be Doing....

Question: How can you tell if a writer has a looming deadline?
Answer: His/her house is spotless.

Writers are masters of procrastination. Every year at the Saints and Sinners Literary Conference, casual talk among writers eventually turns to "what I did instead of writing like I should have." Maybe we all work better under pressure. I have no idea, but it's an epidemic. (Note that I'm making a blog entry instead of working on a story. See how insidious it is?)

I have two stories due to editors, so of course I'm going to spend the weekend scouring the hovel. I've start both. That's a good thing. Both are hanging at a tipping point. That's good, because it gives me something exciting to jump into when I start again. I know exactly where these stories are going and how they're going to get there. All I have to do is write them. *heh* Sure. Any moment now. Right after I clean my office and clear the lint from the dryer line.


BTW - suppose I should mention the big to-do over Amazon. Amazon owns a POD (print on demand) subsidiary. Don't think of print on demand the old way. Think of it as just-in-time inventory control. Even the big publishing houses are turning to it. So anyway, Ingram, the biggest distributor of books in the US owns a competing POD company. Amazon is playing dirty and forcing publishers to sign with their POD company OR ELSE their book won't be available for sale on Amazon, which is the biggest source of revenues for many publishers. The problem with that is that if you take your book off Ingram's system, other bookstores besides Amazon WON'T STOCK IT. Rock and a hard place. So the literary world is up in arms right now against Amazon. Looks like restraint of trade to me, but what are the odds that the government will get involved? Pretty low. So anyway - if you want to support small press, please buy from your local independent bookstore instead of from Amazon. If you want to go online, buy from Skylight Books or Alternaqueer.
(Alternaqueer is Greg Wharton and Ian Philips of Suspect Thoughts fame. I adore them. Skylight isn't specifically queer, but it's an important part of the LA literary scene. Besides, their late store cat, Lucy, is a character in my ghost story in Haunted Hearths.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Helen Madden

M. Christian

Amanda Earl

Trebor Healey

Greg Herren

Keziah Hill

DL King

Nobody Passes

Jolie du Pre

Remittance Girl

Lisabet Sarai

D. Travers Scott

Sage Vivant

 

Torquere Press

Erotica Revealed

Erotica Readers and Writers Association

Erotic Authors Association

EPIC

Clean Sheets

Lambda Literary

BiWriters

QueerWriters

DoorQ

Kathleen Bradean

Saints and Sinners