The Erotica Readers and Writers Association

Kaigou

Rainbow Reviews - Personal Demons

Rainbow Reviews - Love Runes

Rainbow Reviews - Chaos Magic

Rainbow Reviews - Toy Box Flogger

Rainbow Reviews - Toy Box Kitchen Sink

TwoLips Reviews

 



 

Toy Boxes: Floggers

Inside Him

 

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Music

Some writers can listen to music while they write. They use it to help get into the mindset of the story. I've always said that I can't do that, but I'll have to qualify that statement. I can't listen to music while I'm typing the story on the computer because it distracts me. However, writing isn't merely typing, is it?

As I've mentioned before, I live in LA and spend a lot of time sitting in traffic. I use that time to think through my stories. Sure, I don't remember great lines (which I'd have to delete eventually anyway for being a little too writerly) but the emotional impact of a scene stays with me and I work out the sequence of events. While I'm doing that - which is writing - I listen to Novelle Vague (all my punk favs covered to bossa nova beats. I'll never think of Guns of Brixton or Too Drunk to Fuck the same way again. You've heard their cover of Melt With You on a recent car commercial) , Death Cab For Cutie (incredible poetry. Come on guys - we need a new album already!), Thievery Corporation (who introduced me to Novelle Vague and Emilie Simon), Cesaria Evora (her voice is like mocha velvet - I love to wrap it around me), and Emilie Simon (I Wanna Be Your Dog. 'Nough said). The common thread is that most of these are not in English, and the music is jazz-techno inspired (except Cesaria) which is complex enough to engage my brain and then let my mind go. The SO hates it (What's with the techno world beat crap?) but I listen to it a different way than he does.

What about you? Do you listen to music while you write? What do you listen to? Do you keep a notebook with you to jot down ideas when you're away from your computer?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Helen Madden

M. Christian

Amanda Earl

Trebor Healey

Greg Herren

Keziah Hill

DL King

Nobody Passes

Jolie du Pre

Remittance Girl

Lisabet Sarai

D. Travers Scott

Sage Vivant

 

Torquere Press

Erotica Revealed

Erotica Readers and Writers Association

Erotic Authors Association

EPIC

Clean Sheets

Lambda Literary

BiWriters

QueerWriters

DoorQ

Kathleen Bradean

Saints and Sinners